Captain Vikram Batra was an Indian Army officer who is known as the Hero of Kargil War. He was posthumously awarded the Param Vir Chakra for his indomitable courage and sacrifice in the Kargil War.
Captain Vikram Batra Biography | Wiki
|Real Name||Vikram Batra|
|Nick Name||Sher Shah|
|Date Of Birth||9 September 1974|
|Birth Place||Palampur, Kangra District (Himachal Pradesh, India)|
|Date Of Martyrdom
||7 July 1999|
|Age At The Time Of Martyrdom||24 Years 9 Months 28 Days|
|Place Of Martyrdom||Point 4875 Complex, kargil District (Jammu & Kashmir, India)|
|Height||5 feet 8 inches OR 173cm OR 1.73m|
|Home town||Palampur (Himachal Pradesh, India)|
|Unit||13 JAK RIF|
|Award||Param Vir Chakra (Posthumous, India’s highest Gallantry Award)|
|Hobbies||Listening Music, Roller Skating, Martial Arts & Playing Table Tennis|
- Captain Vikram Batra was born on 9 September 1974 in Palampur, Himachal Pradesh. He was the third child of his father. His father Girdhari Lal Batra is a government school principal and his mother (Kamal Kanta Batra) is a teacher.
- He did his early education from Palampur DAV School and his senior secondary education from Central School Palampur.
- In 1987-88, a very famous serial was aired on TV and the name of that TV serial was Paramvir Chakra and till that time 16 Param Vir Chakras were distributed in this serial. After watching this serial, both brothers Vikram Batra and Vishal Batra felt that the life of the army is quite good and after that both of them together decided that both would join the Indian Army.
- Both the brothers joined Kendriya Vidyalaya Palampur in class VIII and the Kendriya Vidyalaya Palampur was in the middle of an army cantonment, so both the brothers got emotionally attached to the army from here. All the friends of both the brothers were mostly children of army officers. After passing 6 years with the children of army officers, both of them realized that army can give you a very good career and this is where both of them started their passion for the Indian Army.
- Both brothers went to DAV College Sector 10 Chandigarh for graduation and both started preparing for Combined Defence Services from there.
- At College, He joined the Air Wing of the National Cadet Corps when he was an undergraduate first year student and At that time he was 19 years old. He was selected for 40 days paratrooper training with his NCC Air Wing unit at Pinjore Airfield. After some time he qualified for the ‘C’ certificate in the NCC.
- He was awarded the best cadet for two consecutive years in a row before leading a contingent of the NCC Directorate in the Republic Day Parade in January 1994.
- In 1995, when he was still in college, he was selected in the merchant navy, but he changed his mind as he was determined to join the Indian Army.
- After completing his graduation, he joined the Panjab University Chandigarh in 1995 to pursue MA English course. During that time he used to work part-time as a branch manager in a traveling agency and attended evening class at the university.
- In 1996, both the brothers appeared in the CDS exam for the first time and both the brothers passed the written exam. Vikram Batra’s SSB interview was held at 19 SSB Allahabad center (Now Prayagraj) Although Vikram Batra’s younger brother Vishal Batra tried thrice, he did not get his recommendation from SSB.
Military career of Captain Vikram Batra
- Vikram Batra joined the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun in June 1996 and after 1.5 years of training, he graduated from the Indian Military Academy as a lieutenant on 6 December 1997.
- In 1997, Vikram Batra was commissioned as a lieutenant in the 13th J&K Rifles, since then a new chapter of valor of this brave warrior had begun. he got promoted from lieutenant to captain before the beginning of Kargil war.
- In January 1999, he was sent to Belgaum, Karnataka to attend the commando course and this course lasted for 2 months. After the completion of the course he was awarded the highest grading-the instructor’s grade.
- He had to participate in the Kargil war after just 18 months of service. It was point 5140 which was the first mission that was given to captain Vikram Batra during the kargil war in Dras(it is the second coldest inhabitant place in the world) Sub-sector.
- Point 5140 is at an altitude of 16,962 feet above sea level and Captain Vikram Batra, leading his battalion from the front, made a surprise attack on the enemies and conquered Point 5140 & They killed six Pakistani soldiers and destroy two bunkers and in the middle of the attack Vikram Batra killed 5 Pakistani Soldiers in Hand to Hand Combat Fight. Before the battle, everyone had fixed their victory signal in the battalion. Captain Vikram Batra’s signal of victory was Yeh Dil Maange More.
- After winning Point 5140, Vikram Batra gave a victory signal to Colonel Joshi on the phone Yeh Dil Maange More.
- This signal soon became a disaster for the enemies throughout the Kargil and the slogan was heard everywhere – Yeh Dil Maange More
- During Kargil war Captain Vikram became a great challenge to his enemies and was given the code name of Sher Shah .
- in the middle of the war Pakistani soldier was on the same frequency as Vikram Batra on his radio set. a Pakistani officer said that Sher Shah, do not try to come up otherwise you have a tough time. Hearing this conversation, the soldiers of Vikram Batra got furious and everyone was saying how dare they speak.
- After the victory at Point 5140, the operation to capture Point 4875 was started and the responsibility was given to Captain Vikram Batra. Without caring for his life, he accepted the responsibility of completing this mission along with Lieutenant Anuj Nayyar and his companions.
- Before going on this expedition, Captain Vikram Batra wrote a letter to his twin brother Vishal Batra on 16 June in which he wrote that dear Kush take care of mother and father and anything can happen here.
- When they proceeded to capture Point 4875, then suddenly Pakistani soldiers started firing indiscriminately on them. When Vikram Batra saw that his companions were in trouble, he pounced on the Pakistani solders like a lion and put them to death. Suddenly one of his fellow soldier lieutenant Naveen was hit with a bullet on the ankel. Lieutenant Naveen was grievously injured and he was shouting for help. Vikram Batra came out of his bunker to rescue Lieutenant Naveen then one of subedar major Raghunath singh told vikram “sir there is heavy firing, life is at Risk you should not go up”. Vikram Batra replied to Raghunath Singh are you scared, then the subedar replied that sir, when you are with me, I do not feel afraid but I have a family, then Vikram Batra told the subedar that you have a family, so you stay here, i will go upstairs.
- He rescued Lieutenant Naveen and again he killed 5 Pakistani soldiers in hand to hand combat but unfortunately he was shot in the chest by a sniper . He collapsed next to the Lieutenant Naveen.
- Jai Mata Di was the last words of Captain Vikram Batra before he was martyred.
|Father Name||Girdhari Lal Batra|
|Mother Name||Kamal Kanta Batra|
|Brother Name||Vishal Batra (Twin Younger Brother)
|Sister Name||Seema And Nutan
Personal Life | Girlfriend | Wife | Relationship
|Girlfriend||Dimple Cheema (1995- Till his death)|
- When he was in college he had a very close friend named Dimple and they both wanted to get married.
- Before going to Kargil war Vikram Batra told his mother that I like a girl and I want to marry her. I will soon introduce you to that girl.
- After the martyrdom of Vikram Batra, Dimple has not married till date. The love story of both could not be completed but their love definitely became immortal. Captain Vikram Batra and Dimple had a fixed time to talk, he used to talk to Dimple on the phone every Wednesday at 7:00 pm.
Captain Vikram Batra Movie- Shershaah
A film has been made on the life of Captain Vikram Batra named Shershaah and this film has been released on 12 August 2021 on Amazon Prime Video. In this film, Siddharth Malhotra is playing the character of Vikram Batra and Kiara Advani is playing the character of Dimple Cheema .
Captain Vikram Batra Quotes
- Before the Kargil war, he came home for Holi vacation, then he spent some time with his friends at the Neugal Cafe. At that time Dimple Cheema told him to be careful in the war, then Vikram Batra replied
“I’ll either come back after raising the Indian flag in victory or return wrapped in it. But I’ll come back for sure”
Captain Vikram Batra- Param Veer Chakra
on 15 August 1999, He was posthumously awarded the Param Vir Chakra (Indian highest gallantry award) for his indomitable courage and sacrifice in the Kargil War.
Some Interesting Facts About Captain Vikram Batra
- Both Captain Vikram Batra and Vishal Batra are twin brothers. The time interval for both of them to be born is 14 minutes.
- Vikram Batra was a very sporty person and his favorite game was Table Tennis. In 1990, he also represented his school in All India National, apart from this he was a very good roller skater. He was very fond of martial arts and was a green belt in Gujaro Karate style.
- Before the Kargil war, the situation in Jammu and Kashmir was not good, due to which Vikram Batra had trained himself in such a way that he could drive a gypsy vehicle with one hand and shoot with an AK-47 gun with the other.
- During the Kargil war, Vikram Batra used to talk to his parents on the phone at least once in every 10 days. The last phone call he made was on 29 June 1999.
- When Vikram Batra had captured Point 5140, he telephoned his home to inform about this. At that time it was 7:30 in the morning, at that time his father was sleeping and when Vikram said that I have captured the point 5140, then his father thought that Vikram was captured by the enemies and he got up in panic.
Also Read:- CarryMinati Biography