Nutan is considered as one of the finest actresses in the history of Indian cinema. She was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 1974 and she holds the record of winning the Best Actress award 5 times at the Filmfare.
Nutan Biography | Wiki
|Real Name||Nutan Samarth Bahl|
|Other Name||Nutan Bahl (After Marriage), Nutan Samarth|
|Date Of Birth||4 June 1936|
|Date Of Death||21 February 1991 (12:07 p.m. )|
|Age (At The Time OF Death)
|Place Of Death||Mumbai (Maharashtra)|
|Death Cause||Breast Cancer|
|Height||5 feet 6 inches OR 168cm OR 168m|
|Home town||Mumbai (Maharashtra)|
|School||St. Joseph’s Convent School, Panchgani|
|Profession||Actress, Singer & Lyricist|
|Hobbies||Hunting & Singing|
|Movies||Seema (1955), Sujata (1959), Bandini (1963), Milan (1967) , Main Tulsi Tere Aangan Ki (1978)|
- She was born on 4 June 1936 in a Marathi Hindu family. she came from a family associated with cinema her mother was an actress and father was a filmmaker as well as a Marathi poet.
- She was the eldest of four siblings. Her parents separated before her brother (Jaideep Samarth) was born.
- She started learning classical singing at the age of 3.
- She started her film career as an actress with the film Hamari Beti (1950) and at that time she was 14 years old & this film was produced by her mother.
- She got the biggest break in the film industry from the film Seema (1955) and for this film she was awarded the Best Filmfare Actress Award and this award was her first Filmfare Award.
- in 1957 She followed her success with a romantic comedy in the film Paying Guest, in which she starred opposite Dev Anand. in 1959 She worked with Raj Kapoor in the film Anari and in the same year she worked with Sunil Dutt in the film Sujata, directed by Bimal Rai. After this, she acted in many films till 1980.
|Favourite Colour||Black & Red|
|Favourite Politician||Indra Gandhi|
|Favourite Actor||Amitabh Bachchan, Raj Kapoor, Balraj Sahni, Sunil Dutt & Ashok Kumar|
|Favourite Actress||Nargis Dutt, Fatma Begum, Shobhna Samarth|
|Favourite Director||Bimal Roy|
|Favourite Film||Bandini (1963), Sujata (1959)|
|Favourite Singer||Kishore Kumar|
|Favourite Travel Destination||Switzerland|
|Father Name||Kumarsen Samarth (Film Director & Marathi Poet)|
|Mother Name||Shobhna Samarth (Actress)|
|Brother Name||Jaideep Samarth|
|Sister Name||Tanuja Mukherjee (actress) & Chatura|
Boyfriend | Affairs | Husband Name
|Marriage Date||11 October 1959|
|Husband Name||Rajnish Bahl (Lieutenant-Commander Of the Indian Navy)|
|Son Name||Mohnish Bahl (Actor)
Nutan’s Film Career
|Debut Film Name (As Child Artist)||Hamari Beti (1950)- As A child Artist|
|Debut Film Name (As Actress)||Sahab (1954)|
Some Interesting Facts About Nutan
- In 1953, her films were not performing well, after which she was sent to Switzerland for further studies at the behest of his mother. She told that her one year in Switzerland was the happiest year of her life.
- She was one of the few actresses of that era who worked with all the superstars.
- Despite being such a big superstar, her image was clean at that time.
- She had won the Filmfare Best Actress Award for the most number of times. She won 6 Filmfare Awards, five Filmfare Awards for Best Actress and one Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress. Below is the list of Filmfare Awards:
|1979||Main Tulsi Tere Aangan Ki(Best Actress)|
|1986||Meri Jung(Best Supporting Actress)|
- She was the first Indian actress to win the Miss India title.
- She had acted in more than 70 hindi films.
- Nutan’s younger sister Tanuja was an actress and her niece Kajol is a well-known actress in the Bollywood film industry who is Tanuja’s daughter. Kajol equaled Nutan by winning her sixth Filmfare Award in 2011.
- Her mother was a big superstar of Marathi and Hindi cinema world.
- she also did many bold scenes in many films keeping in mind the Indian culture.
- The song Sawan Ka Mahina from the 1967 hit film Milan is one of the most memorable songs of Nutan and people still love this song.
- The onscreen characters played by Nutan looked real and were considered unconventional for the time. She used to mold into any character through her gestures.
- She had a total of 22 dogs and she took care of each of them individually. Her favourite dog was Cupid (a French teacup poodle).
- Nutan’s husband, Lieutenant Commander Rajneesh Bahl was a hunting enthusiast, when he used to come home on leave, he used to teach Nutan how to use weapons.
- In 1960, she sang a song titled Ae Mere Humsafar and this song was written by Nutan herself.
- She had filed a case against her mother in which it was said that her mother had misappropriated her money and after that she broke all relations with her mother.
- She established her son in the Bollywood film industry with the movie ‘Maine Pyar Kiya’ before she died.
- Nutan’s last film was ‘Naseebwala’ which was released in 1992 after her death.
- In February 2011, the Government of India issued a postage stamp in honor of Nutan.
- Once Nutan was embroiled in a controversy when she publicly slapped actor Sanjeev Kumar and on this matter Sanjeev Kumar said that Nutan was in love with him although she had denied her statement.
- She was a very private person. She rarely spoke to the journalist about her family life.
- Her husband died in 2004 due to a fire accident in his apartment.
- She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1990 and after that she had to undergo cancer treatment.
- In February 1991, she was admitted to the Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai, at that time she was shooting for the film Garajna and Insaniyat. she died on February 21 at 12:07 p.m.
Top 10 Movies Of Actress Nutan
1- Seema Movie (1955)
The biggest first film of her career, titled Seema, was released in 1955. She played the role of an orphan girl Gauri in this film and this character was very much liked. She was awarded the Best Filmfare Actress Award for this film.
2- Paying Guest (1957)
This film was based on comedy & drama & directed by Subodh Mukherjee. Nutan and Devanand were in the lead roles in this film. she played the role of the landlord’s daughter Shanti in this film. By acting like a girl trapped in the conflict of ideas and traditions, she drew a big streak of acting for herself. she did a brilliant performance in this film and the film was highly appreciated by the film critics.
3- Sujata (1959)
Based on the Bengali short story Sujata, the film brought Nutan international recognition. The entire foreign media became curious to know about Nutan when it was screened at the 1960 Cannes Film Festival. She played the character of Sujata in this film directed by famous director Bimal Roy. Apart from Nutan, Sunil Dutt and Shashi Kala were in the lead roles in this film. The film, based on the love affair of a Brahmin man and a Dalit woman, took on casteism for the first time. She was awarded the Filmfare Best Actress Award for the second time for this film. The film won one National and 4 Filmfare Awards.
4- Chhalia (1960)
The film was directed by Manmohan Desai and starred Raj Kapoor in the lead role. The film proved successful and Nutan was nominated for Best Actress. She played the role of married woman Shanti in this film. The film was successful and she was nominated for Filmfare Best Actress.
This film was based on Romance & Drama. This film was directed by Bimal Roy. She was seen in the role of Kalyani, who is undergoing life imprisonment in connection with a murder, she won everyone’s heart after playing this character. She received the Filmfare Best Actress Award for the third time for this film. The film won six awards including a national one and Filmfare.
6- Milan (1967)
She played the role of Radha in this film. Actors like Sunil Dutt and Pran were in the lead roles in this film. She did a brilliant performance in this film and she got the Filmfare Best Actress Award for the fourth time for this film.
She played the role of a supporting actress in this film. He was given the Filmfare Award for this film. she was highly appreciated for her role in this film.
In this film, Amitabh Bachchan was in the lead role along with Nutan. At that time Amitabh Bachchan did not become a superstar. Nutan played the role of widow in this film. The film was sent to the Oscars by India in the category of Best Foreign Language.
9-Main Tulsi Tere Aangan Ki (1978)
It was based on a Marathi novel. She won the Filmfare Best Actress Award for the fifth time for her strong role in this film. In this film she played the character of an aristocratic woman Sanyukta Chauhan.
10- Meri Jung
The 1985 film Meri Jung which was one of the most trending films of that era. This film was directed by Subhash Ghai. She played the role of Anil Kapoor’s mother in this film. She was awarded the sixth Filmfare Award of her career for this film.